My Thoughts On A Collin Sexton Trade

    


Today I am going to give my thoughts on the recent Collin Sexton trade drama and what it means for the future of the Cavaliers. I did not write any notes to follow for this one so apologies if it becomes hard to follow at times.


Do I think we should trade Sexton? To put it simply no, but certain situations would make me consider it. To start, if the Cavs draft Evan Mobley I would not trade Sexton. His scoring is invaluable and without acquiring someone that can fill that void, the already shaky offense would be downright broken. 


If the reports are wrong with the link between Jalen Green and the Rockets and the Cavs were to take him it would complicate the situation some. I still would not trade him this year, there just would not be a reason to. As good as I think Jalen Green will be there is always some amount of potential to disappoint. Also the Sexton extension that is brought up to question whether the Cavs would move him does not kick in until after next season.


Let's talk a little bit more about that Collin Sexton extension. To start off with I would not max him as of now but I would want to sign him to an extension. I would not think twice about signing him to a 25-30 million per year deal similar to contracts given to Jamal Murray, Dlo, and CJ McCollum. Another person also happens to be in this contract range, Kevin Love. Getting off of Love’s contract and giving that cap space to Collin Sexton would be ideal. If they are not able to move Love the overlap of the two contracts would only be one year.


Now time to discuss the rumored trade packages for Collin Sexton. To start the rumored Knicks trade would be Obi Toppin, Kevin Knox, and a mid to late first this year. I would not consider this trade whatsoever. I am not a fan of Obi Toppin, I cannot see his role in the league. Dean Wade is simply better and has a higher ceiling. Kevin Knox is looking to be a career slightly below average role player, not someone worth trading an efficient 24 point scorer with above average playmaking for his role. Finally a late first rounder is a huge gamble with almost no chance of becoming better than Sexton.


Next we will go to the Heat trade of Collin Sexton for Tyler Herro, Andre Iguodala, and Precious Achiuwa. This is another deal that I would not consider either. Iggy is a worthless add in, he did not want to play for the Grizzlies no chance he will to play for the Cavs. Precious is a piece I would not have that much interest in. He is an undersized, high energy big. A quite easy role to fill. Finally we get to Tyler Herro. It has been quite confusing to see the buzz for Tyler Herro. The same people dismissing Sexton because of old narratives of inefficiency and poor playmaking want Herro despite having those same issues. He is not someone worth moving Sexton for.


Those were my thoughts on the complicated Collin Sexton situation. I know I cannot change the opinions of those stubborn, uninformed people but I am open to further discussion about this topic on my twitter @_Tydog_.


Comments